Sunday, January 20, 2008

Some Truths, Some Dares...



Yesterday, Dr. Joey and I met up for brunch at Boogaloo and a game of Scrabble. It was a gorgeous day so we opted to sit outside, and so got a table right away while the usual crowd of 30 or so people waited on.

I'm not really a mimosa kinda gal, but let me tell you, a cypress (grapefruit and champagne) is pretty darn good. I had two. We talked about a bunch of different things and eventually I decided to share with Dr. Joey my dilemma. We went back and forth, but the solution, to Dr. Joey, was crystal clear. No Ifs, Ands, or Buts about it. And sadly, I more or less agreed. By the end of brunch I picked up my glass, took a swig, and slammed it back on the table, saying, "If only this was alcohol." And then I remembered it was. I took another swig.

Back home, Scrabble was waiting. I went to get a bottle of champagne and some flutes, while Dr. Joey waited in the living room. When I got back, he was looking intently at a box of Jenga tiles.

Dr. Joey:
Did you know you had this?

Me:
Umm... no...

Dr. Joey:
Do you know what it is?

Me:
Jenga?

Dr. Joey:
Right. But see, it's not just regular Jenga, it's Truth or Dare Jenga.

Me:
(Laughing) Well, I guess we'll have to play some Jenga then.

After hearing the series of red dare tiles Dr. Joey pulled out, I was intent on pulling only the black truth tiles. But alas, I couldn't always. My first red tile had me rolling over, laughing. "Pretend you're riding." When I finally stopped laughing, I told him about racing horses in college, and said I was going to ride a horse.

Dr. Joey:
And how do you ride a horse?

Me:
Well, you sit astride, like so. You take the reins in one hand and the horn on the saddle with the other...

Dr. Joey:
How do you hold the horn again?

Me:
Umm... forget it. I'm riding an English saddle, not Western. There are no horns.

After posting and demonstrating for Dr. Joey, I got off my pretend horse, while he refilled my champagne flute.

I also got to slow dance with a broom, before I kicked my buddy's ass at Scrabble, by 85 points. A rematch is scheduled for tomorrow (Umm... Dr. Joey, I'm working tomorrow, so we're talking tomorrow evening, right?)

Started drinking at noon, drunk by 5, I was in dire need of a nap before I considered going dancing that night with my gals. I was hungover by 9 pm, when I woke up, scarfed down half a burrito, and ran out the door to meet Sara and Rohna at Rye. While my friends laughed, flirted, and danced, I kept thinking about that one black truth I still had to deal with; the one I wished I could have snuck back in the Jenga tower.

No comments: