Wednesday, January 2, 2008

"...Nothing Changes on New Year's Day" -U2



Yesterday, New Year’s Day, Chris and I woke up early, played a game of Scrabble- which I sucked at, considering I was still hungover from the night before- and then we stepped out to grab some grub at Pakwan. As usual, the meal was yum and the chai even yummier. Afterwards, we decided to just walk all the way downtown to the theatres and see if we could finally catch a movie together. (Almost 4 months of hanging out and we had not once made it to the theatres since something always came up). We got tix for Sweeney Todd but while we sat outside the Metreon with our Starbux watching the pidgeons and talking, waiting until it was time for our movie, the theatre filled up. By the time we got there, in time enough to catch the previews- my favorite part of going to the movies- there were no more seats together so we got a refund and decided to give up on our hopes to ever watch a movie together. Instead, we crossed the little footbridge over to Moscone and, jumping up and down, I pointed out the carousel. “Let’s go, let’s go, let’s go!”

While we waited in line, and I sipped my Starbux cappuccino, one of the conductors of the carousel complimented me on my boots.

Conductor:
“I’m a boot guy.”

Lele:
“I’m more of a booty guy. Mmm hmm…” (while slapping mine)

I snickered and the conductor gave us a strange look, before he glanced at something behind us. When I turned around, there was a woman standing there looking at us with contempt in her eyes. I followed her hands down to where she was covering her little boy’s ears. I dropped to the sidewalk, laughing hysterically, Starbux spraying through my nose.

Lele:
(Walking away) Uh oh. We're already pissing pissing people off and we haven't even gotten on the carousel yet. Let's get out of here.

Me:
We’re fucking riding this carousel!

As soon as the words were out of my mouth, I realized I'd forgotten about the kid, again. Shit. I turned around to see the woman get out of line in front us, pick up her child in her arms, and storm off.

It was our turn and we were going to get two rides. For the first one, we behaved ourselves on our camels (unless you count Chris’s attempt to make himself ejaculate by climbing up the pole). The next ride, though, we switched onto horses. When the carousel started moving, Chris jumped onto my horse. As we passed by, the conductor (a different guy this time) yelled out, “Only one person per horse!”

Chris made a spectacle of himself, trying unsuccessfully to get off from behind me, but after several amusing attempts, he gave up and slumped back in place.

Lele:
What now?

Me:
Just stay. Look!

I pointed to our reflection in the mirror at the center of the carousel. We made faces, stuck out our tongues, waved. Even the conductor was laughing. All the 5, 6, 7, 8 year-olds were turned around in their horses, watching us, while their moms, sisters, nannies looked at us like the naughty kids who should be sitting in the corner with a dunce hat. But at least part of them must’ve been envious… right?

Chris held me tight until the carousel slowed down, then we jumped off, grabbed hands, and ran as fast as we could without looking back.

2 comments:

Valancy Jane said...

I love this story.

Dr. Joey said...

Nothing changes on New Year's Day, it usually waits for Jan. 7th. ;) Hope you're feeling better.