Saturday, September 15, 2007

Acquisitions Suck!



My company, a once-prestigious architecture firm, one of the largest in Northern California, owned by three-time president of AIA, Gordon Chong, is getting bought out by Stantec, a Canadian engineering giant, and will cease to exist as of Monday. We are not happy. Suddenly, we have dress codes (me and my miniskirts were frowned upon this past week when their HR was visiting us), there are rules as to what we can swap over e-mail (apparently not drawings of urinating penises, and certainly not conversations about blow-jobs), and what sites we can go to on the internet (they block Facebook- and even eBay, much to my manager's dismay). They're screwing with my paychecks, making me pay more for insurance, and rendering me ineligible for bonuses. They're taking away six of my vacation days, and giving me five sick days, instead. We're told this is all very exciting, yet none of us seem to understand exactly how or why.

At the end of the day on Friday, my manager, as he was walking out, waved to me and said:
See you on the other side!

Me:
Or not.

Manager:
(Laughing nervously) How're you gonna manage that?

Me:
Hey, (I stuck out my palm, fingers outstretched) I've got five sick days!

1 comment:

espec18 said...

I'm sure it's exciting for the guys at the top that sold it. I'd be excited if my next pay check looked like theirs too! ;^)