Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Mothers have descended!



Last Monday, my roommate Sabba's mother arrived from Ohio, for Sabba's cataract surgery. Friday, my mother arrived from Boston, for my surgery on Monday. There has been good food, chai galore, and lots of Urdu spoken around the house. We've hidden the booze, our miniskirts and "gypsy dresses", banished our boyfriends from our beds, tucked away their undershirts and boxers and socks. Out came the jahnamaaz (prayer rugs) and prayer books. The lotah (don't ask).

We took them for a tour of the city yesterday, and then had them make biryani and raita. I bought some gulab jamun (in a can) from the Indian store- where the owner swore it was some of the best ever. It was awful. Shannon made some Shannon's Fruit Surprise, which was surprisingly yummy- in fact, it was the best of all three desserts. We had sparkling pomegranate juice in our pretty new wine glasses from Ikea. And on top of all that, my mom met Chris for the first time. She approved.

She asked me a ton of questions about him before she met him, she sat and talked to him for a while after he arrived, and she's still giving me the third degree. She calls him what translates more or less into "a very sweet boy" or "good boy". I find it very amusing, but the point is she approves. This is the very first guy I have EVER introduced to her. This is a big deal. We even had brunch with him this morning. Later, she joked about feeling like the third wheel, between us... There's a lot of background stuff that's a bit complicated, but for now, she approves.

And while I just really want a drink and I can't wait to get into bed with Chris and laugh about anything and everything, for now, it is really nice to have my mom around. It's fun to sit around and reminisce about Pakistan and flip through pages of old albums. Plus Biryani and Karrhi trump cuddling. At least for a few days ;OP

No comments: