Sunday, October 21, 2007

Girls will be girls!



Last Wednesday, Sara, Rohna, and I went to Americano for a drink after work. I had just gotten back from the east coast really late the night before and I was exhausted. I should have just gone straight home after work but, alas, I was dragged to the bar, instead. So, needless to say, I wasn't feeling up to socializing with strangers the way I usually would.

After some appetizers and a glass of wine, we were about ready to leave- bill paid, coats on, bags on our shoulders. Luckily, each of us have our contacts at the cool SF bars :O) and Sarah's friend Tessa insisted on getting us some "bubbles" before we left. So we stuck around to sip away at our ridiculously expensive, but giddily free glasses of Moët & Chandon Brut Impérial Rosé. I was laughing about something when I turned around and saw him. Tall, dark-haired, he was a better-looking version of John Mayer. He was with a bunch of other guys, all of them wearing suits, and he was watching me. I saw him say something to his friend, who turned to look at me and smiled. I smiled back. Every time I looked up the John Mayer look-alike was looking at me, but he did not come up and say hello, even as I passed right by him on my way out.

I had pointed him out to the girls earlier but I must've said something again as we were walking out because Sara asked, "Do you want me to go talk to him for you?" (since I'm always doing that for her) and I shook my head, vehemently so. I continued walking but the next thing I knew, Sara had disappeared. When she reappeared, she brought John Mayer with her.

I felt kind of silly, having had my girlfriend go grab a guy for me, but he was nice.

Sara:
(After introducing us) He's from Texas.

Me:
Really? I didn't hear an accent.

John Mayer:
(Raising his glass of wine) A couple more of these and I won't be able to hide it.

I laughed and asked him what he was doing in San Francisco and he revealed that he works for the Warriors. That, in fact, he and his co-workers had just gotten off a season kick-off cruise, which is why they were all so dressed up.

John Mayer:
Have you been to a game before?

Me:
Umm... I've been to a few Giants' games...

John Mayer:
(Smiling) The Warriors play basketball.

Me:
(Sheepish grin) Oh. In that case, no.

John Mayer:
Well, then. I guess we'll have to change that!

We talked for a few more minutes, he gave me his card, and then we said goodbye.

I had no intentions of calling him. I'd rather they call me, but I didn't have my card on me and I didn't give him my number. But once again, Sara stepped up and told me I HAD to at least e-mail him.

But I decided he wasn't that interesting after all. (And a little too young- 25, maybe). (I looked him up on Friendster, the way my roommate Renu always does). Even if he could have gotten us great, free tix to see the Warriors.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

he sounds pretty classy and you need someone classy.

and someone who doesn't mind your habit of antagonizing clearly psychotic homeless people.