Sunday, November 19, 2006

Don't Write About Me



"Don't write about me," he said. So I did.

we don't live
as rectangles
straight, this way or that
then turning
because you say so

dust collected on your words
all that time, unused
unrecalled
I pulled them out of that old trunk
(memory)
shook them out
I scrutinized, discarded, saved

every time you move
you leave something behind
an old receipt
(the price quite steep)
a rainy afternoon
spent looking out the window
mail
video store cards
a cup, presented
on the first lonely birthday
books you never meant to read
soft things
hair collected from a pillow-

these remnants
they don't fit you anymore
but words
you fold, hang, frame
wear, drink, paint
you save- take them with you

"Please," he said, "please."
(I nodded, promised, lied)
"Don't write about me."

No comments: