Friday, February 27, 2004

One Month



One month. Barely, in fact. I knew him for one month and somehow that short amount of time managed to impress me in such a way that I couldn’t stop thinking about him. I wasn’t in love with him; by no means. It was just the fluidity of his lifestyle. He had no strings, nothing to connect him to anything in the world. All he had was his dog and his bike. Something about that was intriguing. Maybe because it was what I wanted myself.

You know how someone can pass through your life, for a short amount of time yet make such a big impression? That’s what happened. All I had with him were a few nights in the kitchen sipping wine, in the dark, with only a strand of Christmas tree lights blinking along a wall. A few nights curled up on the futon, pretending to watch movies. Chain-smoking on the back patio. And the next thing I knew, I was writing a novel about him.

No comments: